Choosing a Primary Care Physician
Tips For Choosing A Doctor…
Selecting a primary care physician is an important first step toward managing your health. Your primary care doctor is your medical “home”, it’s the doctor you visit the most for your medical needs, such as wellness visits and routine screenings, non-emergency illnesses like earaches and sore throats, and the person you speak to about your health questions and concerns.
1. Determine Which Doctors Are “In-Network”
2. Find a Doctor with Expertise that Meets Your Health Needs: Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice
3. Ask for Referrals – Many people feel most comfortable visiting a physician who is recommended by someone they know, like a family member, co-worker or friend.
4. Think About Logistics – Do you want a doctor located close to your home or office?
5. Visit the Doctor – Nothing can really give you a feel for whether you’ve selected the right doctor like an office visit and a face-to-face meeting. Be sure you feel comfortable in the office and with the physician and nurses. Your primary care physician should be someone you trust and can rely on to help manage your healthcare.