Nine Facts About Clinical Trials
Clinical trials can be confusing to potential volunteers. There are countless pieces of information out there and processing all of it can be challenging. You may be interested in volunteering for a trial to have access to possible new treatment options or to help advance medical research for current and future generations. Whatever the reason, choosing to volunteer is a wonderful thing and we are thankful for your dedication and interest in clinical trials. Here are nine facts you might want to know before applying for a study:
- All of the participants in a clinical trial are volunteers who are fully informed about the study and decide to participate on their own free will.
- The purpose of a clinical trial is to provide valuable data and determine the effectiveness and safety of new or existing treatments, medical devices or treatment methods.
- All clinical trials must be reviewed, approved and monitored by an Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB’s main goal is to ensure all participants are treated ethically and are fully informed about the study prior to participation.
- Choosing to volunteer doesn’t guarantee you will be chosen to be part of a study. Every clinical trial has specific criteria related to the type of participants needed for the study.
- If you choose to volunteer, you will be given a full explanation of the study including required tests and procedures, potential risks and benefits, and the number of visits you have to attend.
- You will always be able to stop participating at any time.
- Knowing what to ask before agreeing to participate is very important. Here is a list of things you may want to ask http://mylocalstudy.com/2017/11/09/things-know-enrolling/
- Insurance is not required to participate in a study and you will not be charged for study-related procedures.
- Compensation may be available for your time and travel.
Now that you know more about clinical trials, consider applying! Just fill out and submit an application for a study that best fits your needs and a member of our team will contact you via phone to provide more information about the study you chose.
Here at Bandera Family Health Care Research, we are committed to advancing health and finding better treatment options for conditions such as diabetes, asthma, high triglycerides, overactive bladder and more. Those that qualify for one of our studies may receive study-related care and medication at no cost, learn better ways to manage the condition and receive access to possible new treatment options. Help us further medical research, click below to learn more about our currently enrolling studies!