Bone Health: A Fracture Liaison Service (FLS) is a coordinated preventive care model which operates under the supervision of bone health specialists and collaborates with the patient’s primary care physician to coordinate post-fracture care. FLS programs recognize that patients who have fractures are at a higher risk for future fractures. These programs greatly reduce the number of fractures and achieve cost savings by identifying and appropriately treating post-fracture patients.
THE FLS PROGRAM IS DESIGNED TO:
- Close the care gap for fracture patients, 80% of whom are never offered screening and/or treatment for osteoporosis.
- Enhance communication between health care providers by providing a care pathway for the treatment of fragility fracture patients.
Our certified FLS program is designed to coordinate and act as the link between the patient and the fall prevention services, orthopedic, and osteoporosis teams. It will ensure all patients presenting with fragility fractures receive fracture risk assessment and treatment when appropriate. The service will be comprised of a dedicated case worker, often a clinical nurse specialist, who works to achieve pre-agreed protocols.
DID YOU KNOW:
- FLS programs are a proven model for fragility fracture prevention
- 50% of hip fracture patients have had a prior fragility fracture
- All patients greater than 50 years old with fractures are at greater risk for future fractures
- Up to 25% of hip fractures can be avoided by following a preventive care model such as FLS
For more information contact our FLS Coordinator at (210) 296-2470.
Looking for more information?
We’re happy to talk to you about our services. Reach out to us to learn more!